Tournament Park in 1910
Tournament Park once encompassed the nearby athletic fields and included a stadium, as shown in this excerpt of a 1910 photograph taken from the roof of Throop Hall, the first building on Caltech's campus. In the foreground, a streetcar travels what is now California Boulevard.
An aviation record
In 1911, Cal Rodgers (right) landed his biplane in Tournament Park, achieving the first U.S. cross-country flight.
About Tournament Park
Tournament Park is a Caltech facility located on the south side of campus that is open to the public during daylight hours (currently 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.) and is available for private functions by reservation. The park offers picnic tables, a barbecue, and playground equipment.
Reservations for private events
Information and forms related to reservations for private events in Tournament Park are provided by Caltech's Facilities Operations Department.
Tournament Park: Why the name?
In this park, more than a century ago, Pasadena residents promoted the city with midwinter events including the first Rose Bowl Games. In those years, the park stretched north to California Boulevard. Tournament Park acquired its name in 1900 and hosted the first Rose Bowl Game in 1902. The Tournament of Roses-sponsored New Year's Day matches continued to be held in Tournament Park through 1922. Major aviation events also took place in Tournament Park and are commemorated in a historical marker.
Transcription: historical marker text with links to learn more
Historical Site - Tournament Park
Official terminus of the first transcontinental airplane flight, Calbraith (Cal) Perry Rodgers took off from Sheepshead Bay New York September 17, 1911, landing here November 5, 1911.
Roy Knabenshue piloted his dirigible from here March 20, 1909. Charles Willard landed here in his airplane March 31, 1911.
Other early events
Balloon flights, horse races including chariot races, East-West football games, display of Tournament of Roses floats.
Presented 1962 by Pasadena Pioneer Association and Pasadena Historical Society